IRC stands for Internet Relay Chat, IRC is a large and popular chat medium for many people with many interests. Half-Life 2: Wars has an IRC Channel where you can talk about the game with other players and the developers.
If you are unfamiliar with IRC, check out this excellent tutorial for setting it up and connecting to the HL2: Wars IRC chatroom, by forum member MadK: forum thread
I recommend mIRC but there are a lot out there and any will suffice.
How-To guide for connecting to Half-Life 2: Wars IRC channel via mIRC
I will be using mIRC for this guide
1. Start by opening your IRC client
2. Open a new server window and type this:
Note: Commands may vary between Clients, look in your client's manual if you aren't sure what the connect command is
3. Press enter and connect
4. Now type this:
Note: This command may also vary depending on Client, check your client's manual if you aren't sure
5. You should now be in the Half-Life 2:Wars IRC Channel, have fun!
How-To guide for connecting to Half-Life 2: Wars IRC channel via gamesurge website
1. Start by opening your web browser and typing in www.gamesurge.net
2. once on the site go to the top right hand corner of the site and click "chat"
3. Wait for it to connect (must have java)
4. Once connected you will be in the lobby of gamesurge, now type /join #hl2wars.
5. There you have it! your in the hl2wars channel. If you wish to have a registered name, keep on going to the next steps.
6. on the main page of the gamesurge website go to the top right hand corner of the page and click register, it should be near "chat"
7. Click on the link and sign up, once signed up log in and you are now registered.